Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Who's Thinkin' at Microsoft?

I can't be alone. I am sure that Internet Explorer 7 is much improved over previous versions in many ways. Must be a heck of a lot less vulnerable to viruses or re-directs or trojans or something. But when it comes to user friendliness, OUCH! A very simple thing - on all other browsers I know of, the basic five navigation buttons (back, forward, stop, refresh, home) are all located in the same place on the browser. Upper left is good. Easy to remember, easy to get to.

Which genius decided that these buttons ought to be scrambled all over the page, in different rows, on different sides of the screen? And then which brighter genius decided that the user should not be able to move these buttons from their pre-set locations, so we are forced to adjust to the new scattering?

I am sure that Microsoft knows something on this subject that I am missing. Something about more efficient web-surfing if I could just get my head out of my a#$ and learn the new, more intuitive way to move the mouse over more real estate to do the same old things. But I wish they would tell me what it is, because I have been at it for weeks (months?) now, and it is totally lost on this sorry surfer. I still sigh every time I open IE7.

No comments: