Friday, August 10, 2007

Dog with a Bone

Like the Captain of the Titanic, I cannot bring myself to the life boats just yet. Yes, I am back to my old favorite: global liquidity. Now, Nouriel Roubini is adding his booming voice to the likes of Edward Altman. We are apparently experiencing a true crisis in the credit markets these days. Not just a liquidity issue, but a fundamental insolvency problem. Reciting the melting subprime mortgage industry, the hurting US consumer/homeowner, and contracting credit availability emanating from there, Nouriel is persuaded we are at the beginning of something big and terrible.

I still wonder. Not because I disagree about the loony levels of corporate (and sovereign) debt that have been slapped on the books in recent years. I am not under under the impression that these unprecedented debt levels are magically sustainable by business or government operations when they have never been sustainable before in human history. I agree that credit issuances are badly matched against the fundamental businesses of the issuers. And so I also agree that a crunch must be coming, and that the longer it takes to get here, the worse it will be.

Where I disagree - or more likely, fail to understand - is in the timing. Nobody that I have read makes a well-crafted connection between the weaknesses that Nouriel describes on the one hand and the huge sums of capital that remain in the global system on the other hand. It seems clear to me that the recent build-up of over-indebtedness is a direct result of massive global liquidity. (Does it perhaps matter whether such liquidity is due to central banks' addition of money to the system, whether the liquidity is merely credit, or credit derivatives-related, or something else, or some combination?) Every problem that an issuer could encounter of late has been resolvable by the introduction of more liquidity - more money at cheaper prices, and with fewer restrictions.

Assuming that is a fair way to see things, what the heck has changed? From what I can tell, massive amounts of money are still on the side-lines, much of it sitting in sovereign wealth funds, whose aggregate size dwarfs the size the global hedge fund industry. Not so, I am told, when one considers the leverage that hedge funds bring to bear - with that leverage, hedge funds are a much heavier influence on the globe. But, I wonder, what happens when the sovereigns begin to deploy such leverage on a similar scale? And where are the fleeing investors going anyway - are not sovereign obligations, like T-Bills, more appealing to investors these days? Does that begin to sound like sovereigns expanding their ability to lever their investments?

OK, I'll slow down. But is it not the case that there is at least the strong possibility of further rescue financing or further opportunistic asset purchasing by these sovereigns? And if not, where will all that money go? Has anybody worked this stuff through? Because I am lost. But I cannot see the logical path to concluding that today is the beginning of the insolvency crisis.

No comments: