Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Google ain't seen nothing universal yet

So Google's search engine will now produce a wider variety of results than before in response to a simple query. No longer any need to search separately for text, photos, video, etc. For those of us who no longer have much patience for the video format - too much waiting around for somebody else's views, largely at their speed - the development doesn't necessarily sound all that helpful. (I assume that Google will not slow down production of faster search results while slower videos load - a technology that I am certain is easy.) But this development is headline news today.

Makes me wonder though. My view of the future of the web is so much farther afield, that I must work to restrain a yawn today. Ready? Here goes. All the mobile tech folks will inevitably spend years and huge sums trying to perfect the mobile device that works best for humankind. None of them, so far as I know however, have focused on the most obvious mobile device of all - the human body.

No, I am not some Luddite who advocates that we drop the tech madness and allow our natural abilities to flourish and be challenged again. Heavens no. Though I do blame the advent of technology for my increasingly lazy and incapable memory - it can't be my advancing age. No no, go the other direction. Within our lifetime, there will be surgery that will install the machinery for web surfing right into our flesh. If virtual reality games are as advanced as they are today, and if we can train fighter pilots to operate their aircraft and weaponry with eye muscle movements, this day is not far off.

Think about the utility. Every day, I tap the web for knowledge - things I once knew and have forgotten as well as things I never knew. Things that people mention to me over the phone, which I can search and appear quickly to understand, if only in a rudimentary way at first. The only reason I don't do the same in person is because it is rude. Imagine though, if that pensive look during a conversation were also an opportunity to locate relevant contextual data on the internet, as projected clandestinely onto your retina?

Now that could be universal, and it would certainly make the headlines. Mark my words, we will get there. You saw it here first.

No comments: