Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spectator Sports

April 2007 has been the month of lucky number 13,* at least for New York City. The Yankees' A-Rod (whose jersey is #13) has been the hottest thing they have, with more than 13 home runs already and hits in most every game this season, while all else about the team is seemingly going to seed. And the Dow Jones Industrial Average has finally hit 13,000. Wow, amazing stuff.

For those in the game. I have never understood people's patience - neigh lust - for following the victories, trials, and tribuations of others' sporting efforts. Think about the amount of content in the US media dedicated to sports and to the results of folks gambling in the financial markets. That stuff truly sells, pretty much as well as any other soap opera. Then consider how much of your friends' and colleagues' idle banter relates to the same subjects.

I am lost in this universe. I absolutely love playing sports (baseball, football, tiddlywinks, etc.), and I follow my investments more closely than any rational being should follow anything. But I have never much enjoyed following or discussing the similar efforts of the rich and famous, unless there is something to learn that I can actually use.

I really do not like being this out of touch with most folks' delights, however. I have $13 for the person who can enlighten me and interest me in the New York Daily News.


* 4 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 7 = 13. Coincidence? I think not.

1 comment:

RPDS said...

The world is populated by a variety of people, and you should not lament your absence of enthusiasm for the news of the sporting world, anymore than those of us who harbor such passion need to apologize for our habits of mind. Moreover, there is no way of justifying such passion to a person who simply doesn't have it.

Speaking from that passion, I follow the details of sporting accomplishment (baseball, in particular) because it reveals something of the human condition to me, a sense of glory and failure, of pride and prejudice, of yearning and disappointment -in an arena (fan interest) that seems relatively harmless and reflective of my youthful fantasies, even as I grow old.

Not very complicated, which is another reason for my interest in the sporting life.
-RPDS